Reporting to the TCU Manager, the Administrative Clerk will be responsible for the efficient flow of communication between health professionals, departments, patients and families while maintaining confidentiality of patient information in accordance with the organizational philosophy, policies and standards. You will also be responsible for a variety of administrative tasks which may include reception, greeting and directing visitors, patients and health professionals, maintaining patient records and charts, transcribing and processing physician orders as well as scheduling patient tests and/or treatments. You will also be responsible for performing a range of administrative activities in support of the Transitional Care Unit
- Assembles, breaks down and manages patient charts and records.
- Transcribes all doctors and nurses orders. Enters them into system and dates, stamps and signs them when completed.
- Seeks clarification of all illegible and illegal orders. Processes all “stat” and “now” orders before any others.
- Welcomes and greets all visitors to unit, while maintaining a log detailing visitor access.
- Answers telephone and transfers calls to patients, nurses and doctors.
- Documents all patient notes as directed by ordering physician and nurse.
- Arranges for patient and chart transport.
- Prioritizes workload and responsibilities.
- Places all lab and test results in the proper patient medical records.
- Regularly tests all equipment to ensure proper operation and informs staff when equipment malfunctions and puts in request for repairs.
- Orders and maintains necessary equipment for procedures.
- Coordinates with nurses to ensure proper bed placement of patients.
- Manages transfer of patients. Completes and coordinates all appropriate paperwork to ensure it follows patients to next bed assignment or to medical records department.
- Checks inventory and orders products as needed to maintain unit supplies and inventory.
- Maintains knowledge of codes and emergency procedures
- Maintains patient confidence while protecting private information in compliance with HIPAA.
- Regularly participates in trainings and education activities to improve knowledge and skills.
- Knowledge of infection prevention and control practices.
- Adhere to Bayshore Policies and Procedures
- Participate in quality activities and continuous improvement initiatives in keeping with the company's Quality Management System.
- Participates in proactive Health & Safety activities while performing all duties. Is responsible to notify immediate Supervisor of any Health & Safety risks or concerns.
- Responsible for completing Accident Reports for all direct reports who injure themselves on the job, within 24 hours of the incident.
- Maintains confidentiality of client and corporate information and discusses same only with appropriate Bayshore personnel.
- Complete other tasks as requested.
Medical Office Administration Certificate/Diploma or Equivalent Program essential
Office administration experience in a similar environment or equivalent
- Minimum of OSSD with training in business, office procedures or related experience;
- Minimum typing speed of 50wpm;
- Demonstrates initiative and organizational skills;
- Demonstrates strong communication and interpersonal skill;
- Demonstrated ability to interact with the interdisciplinary team in a collaborative manner;
- Demonstrated ability to interact in a professional and caring manner with diverse client population;
- Demonstrated ability to work with computer software applications relevant to support clerical needs of the Programs, including, but not limited to Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Procura, and Internet Explorer;
- Demonstrated ability to operate photocopiers, fax machines, and Cisco/Jabber phone system;
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and meet changing deadlines required;
- Attend annual WHMIS and Fire Safety demo;
- English level A- is mandatory in oral expression/comprehension, reading comprehension and written expression. Bilingual (French/English) is considered an asset.
Other Skills and Abilities
Exceptional customer relations ,organizational skills, interpersonal skills and teamwork skills; proficiency in Windows applications, database management, e-mail and the internet; administrative or executive level writing skills; demonstrated ability to establish priorities, handle multiple tasks and work independently and as a team member; strong commitment to continual learning; fluency in written and spoken English.
Internal candidates must have a demonstrated track record of achievement in dealing with clients