*Indicates the salary listed as per the OPSEU Collective Agreement.
There are a total of 112 positions across Ontario.
Below is a list of the locations:
• Algoma Treatment and Remand Centre - 800 Great Northern Road, Sault Ste Marie, P6B 0B5
• Brockville Jail - 10 Wall Street, Brockville, K6V 4R9
• Central East Correctional Centre - 541 Highway 36, Box 4500, Lindsay, K9V 4S6
• Central North Correctional Centre - 1501 Fuller Avenue, Penetanguishene, L9M 2H4
• Elgin-Middlesex Detention Centre - 711 Exeter Road, London, N6E 1L3
• Fort Frances Jail - 310 Nelson Street, Fort Frances, P9A 1B1
• Hamilton-Wentworth Detention Centre - 165 Barton Street East, Hamilton, L8L 2W6
• Kenora Jail - 1430 River Street, Kenora, P9N 1K5
• Maplehurst Correctional Complex - 661 Martin Street, Box 10, Milton, L9T 2Y3
• Monteith Correctional Complex - 3052 Rese Road, Monteith, P0K 1P0
• Niagara Detention Centre - Hwy 58, 1355 Uppers Lane, P.O. Box 1050, Thorold, L2V 4A6
• North Bay Jail - 2550 Trout Lake Road, North Bay, P1B 7S7
• Ontario Correctional Institute - 109 McLaughlin Road South, Brampton, L6Y 2C8
• Ottawa-Carleton Detention Centre - 2244 Innes Road, Ottawa, K1B 4C4
• Quinte Detention Centre - 89 Richmond Boulevard, Napanee, K7R 3S1
• Sarnia Jail - 700 North Christina Street, Sarnia, N7V 3C2
• South West Detention Centre - 4819 8th Concession Road, Maidstone, N0R 1K0
• St. Lawrence Valley Correctional and Treatment Centre - 1804 Highway 2 East, P.O. Box 8000, Brockville, K6V 7N2
• Stratford Jail - 30 St. Andrew Street, Stratford, N5A 1A3
• Sudbury Jail - 181 Elm Street West, Sudbury, P3C 1T8
• Thunder Bay Correctional Centre - 2351 Highway 61 South, Thunder Bay, P7C 4Y4
• Thunder Bay Jail - 285 MacDougall Street, P.O. Box 2806, Thunder Bay, P7A 2K6
• Toronto East Detention Centre - 55 Civic Road, Scarborough, M1L 2K9
• Toronto South Detention Centre- 160 Horner Avenue, Toronto, M8Z 0C2
• Vanier Centre for Women (Milton) - 655 Martin Street, P.O. Box 1040, Milton, L9T 5E6
Note: Hours for these positions are irregular and can vary from 0 up to 40 hours per week, with no guarantee of hours.
In compliance with the recently amended OPSEU collective agreement provision, the salary range for this classification is $27.92 – $32.83 per hour. This salary range reflects the July 1, 2020 across-the-board wage increases specific to this position
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
• Perform a full range of duties, including the care, custody, control and supervision of offenders
• Interact with offenders to maintain security and safety in the facility
• Provide community escort duties to ensure the safety of offenders, staff, visitors and the public
• Maintain communications with a range of contacts, including offenders, co-workers, supervisors, clinical and medical staff
How do I qualify?
You must meet the following pre-requirements to apply:
• Be a minimum of 18 years of age
• Be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in Canada
• Possess oral French skills at the Advanced-Minus level (for bilingual positions)
• Be currently certified and/or able to be certified by first day of employment in Emergency First Aid, Cardiopulmonary Heartsaver (CPR) and Automated External Defibrillator(AED)
• Must have original proof of Grade 12 completion or an equivalency (e.g. general equivalency diploma/certificate)
• Must be able to work rotating shifts, including days, afternoons and nights, and on weekends and statutory holidays
To be considered for the Correctional Officer position, you must successfully complete the following during the recruitment process:
• Ministry administered aptitude, cognitive and psychological tests
• Candidates who are selected to participate in the Correctional Officer recruitment process will be required to successfully complete FITCO testing prior to a conditional offer of employment being made
• Correctional Officer pre-employment medical exam
• Correctional Officer Training and Assessment (COTA) program
• Oral French Language test at the Advanced-Minus level (for bilingual correctional officer positions only)
• Correctional Officer Enhanced Security Clearance process, which includes:
-Vulnerable Services Sector Check
-Out-of-Country Check (if applicable)
-RCMP Records Check
-NICHE/RMS File Check
-PIP (Police Information Portal) Check
-Credit Equifax Check
-Immigration Status Check
-Ministry of Transportation (MTO) Check - last ten years
***IMPORTANT: Please note a Fingerprint-based CPIC security check is no longer required as part of the security check process. Kindly disregard this reference in the security check information below.
For further information on the Recruitment Process of Correctional Officers, please visit:
• Email: CSRU@ontario.ca
• Phone: 1-855-927-CSRU (2778)
Communication (Oral and Written) skills
• Ability to communicate effectively via oral and written communication
• Ability to communicate in writing (e.g. complete detailed, accurate and clear written reports), and documentation
• Ability to communicate verbally in a clear and respectful manner to provide information, instructions and direction
Observation, Analytical and Problem Solving skills
• Ability to assess problems and determine solutions
• Ability to make recommendations and take appropriate actions
Team Work/Interpersonal and Persuasion skills
• You have ability to work cooperatively towards a common goal
• You have ability to motivate, positively influence and assist people
• You can foster open communication and treat others in a consistent, fair, firm and non-judgemental manner
Crisis Intervention and Conflict Resolution skills
• Ability to recognize and understand situations that may produce conflict and use strategies to resolve and/or de-escalate
• Ability to recognize and assess a crisis or potential crisis situation, and implement appropriate solutions in an attempt to resolve the crisis
General Knowledge and Computer skills
• General knowledge of court procedures (e.g. to testify/present evidence at court hearings)
• Knowledge of different cultures and ability to understand and respect differences when interacting with others
• Ability to use computer software (e.g. database, Excel, MS Office) to input/retrieve data
- 12 Bilingual Temporary - Irregular On-Call, duration up to 6 months, Any City, Anywhere in Ontario , Enhanced - CPIC Check, VSS Check, Intelligence Check, Local Police Record Check, Internet Search, Credit Check, Immigration Status Check, MTO Check, Fingerprint-based CPIC
- 100 Temporary - Irregular On-Call, duration up to 6 months, Any City, Anywhere in Ontario , Enhanced - CPIC Check, VSS Check, Intelligence Check, Local Police Record Check, Internet Search, Credit Check, Immigration Status Check, MTO Check, Fingerprint-based CPIC
- This ad is also available in French.
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
Required security screening checks along with your written consent, will be sent to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Talent Acquisition Branch (TAB), HR Service Delivery Division (HRSDD) to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you.
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
How to apply:
- You must apply online.
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources.
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
- OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
- If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both English and French on the website. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only on both the English and French versions of the website.
Les annonces d'emploi pour les postes désignés bilingues sont publiées en anglais et en français sur le site Web. Les annonces pour les postes qui ne sont pas désignés bilingues ne sont pas traduites et elles figurent en anglais seulement, tant dans la version française que dans la version anglaise du site.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Other Comments / Autres commentaires
How to apply:
1. You must apply online.
2. Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources.
3. Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
4. Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
5. If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.