MEI is seeking a driven, self-starting individual with an entrepreneurial mindset and 5+ years of relevant experience to join our team in Kingston, Ontario as a Geotechnical/Materials Laboratory and Field Supervisor supporting our growing practice. This role involves supervising our team of technologists and technicians in the laboratory, as well as coordinating operations to provide inspections and field testing services to ongoing construction projects in Eastern Ontario.
Your role will include, but not necessarily be limited to:
- Conducting geotechnical, aggregate and asphalt laboratory analyses in a manner which is technical sound and defensible to peers;
- Compiling test data, preparing factual reports or summaries for submittal to Clients, and/or data sheets or graphs for submittal to engineering staff for interpretation, as required;
- Developing new laboratory operational and safety protocols as necessary;
- Participating in and ensuring compliance with laboratory accreditation or correlation programs (i.e. CCIL certification, MTO correlations);
- Successfully completing yearly MTO laboratory proficiency tests;
- Monitoring/supervising work of others to ensure protocols are adhered to for both execution of laboratory testing as well as field services;
- Scheduling, and when required, undertaking construction materials testing or inspections, including but not limited to concrete placement verifications, compaction of granular or asphalt materials using a nuclear moisture-density gauge, reinforcing steel inspections;
- Routine checks of the laboratory to ensure proper operation of equipment and a clean orderly work area are maintained;
- Conducting routine maintenance of laboratory equipment, and ensuring all equipment calibration certificates, registration and equipment manuals are current;
- Making recommendations to improve work processes and/or implement workplace health and safety controls or measures;
- Attend training courses and seminars to maintain an ‘expert’ level of knowledge in your practice area;
- Training of new technologists and technicians; and
- Business and client development duties, including preparation of proposals and meeting prospective Clients, to an extent as mutually agreed upon with company directors.
Skills & Experience / Compétences & expérience
•Completion of a recognized 3 year technician or technologist program;
•Minimum of 5 years of experience in materials testing and inspection, 2 of which must be in
a supervisory roll in the laboratory;
•Hold, or able to obtain within 6 months of hire, a C.E.T. designation;
•Strong understanding of ASTM, MTO, AASHTO and other specifications required for all testing
to be carried out;
•Valid CCIL/CSA certifications preferred;
•Valid driver’s license and clean driver’s abstract;
•Understanding of, and practical experience with, geotechnical and/or environmental site
investigations is preferred;
•Demonstrated initiative to develop new SOPs and/or enhance service in a similar environment
is an asset.
•Strong written and oral communication skills in English;
•Very strong technical writing skills – able to communicate and present information
clearly and concisely;
•Proficient in use of Microsoft Office applications;
•Self-starting individual, who is able to work effectively within a team;
•Ability to establish work priorities and deadlines;
•Ability to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines in a busy, fast paced
•Ability to problem solve independently; and
•Able to work extended hours and conduct some travel for business, as requested/required.
Our location in Kingston offers an exceptional quality of life and the opportunity to join an organization that has been locally owned for nearly 30 years. We offer a competitive compensation package, a flexible working environment and opportunities for continuing professional education and development. Extended working hours will occasionally be required in order to ensure deadlines and Client commitments are maintained.