• Experience working with individuals with disabilities
• Police Record Check - CPIC including Vulnerable Sector
• Standard First Aid, CPR
• Sign language (ASL)
• CPI training
• G-tube feedings
• Bilingual – French and English
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and leadership skills
• Ability to work cooperatively with a team
• Strong program delivery skills in a variety of areas including crafts, music, swimming, and recreational activities
We are looking for individuals who are energetic, positive role models, safety conscious and who have a genuine compassionate and caring nature.
Area of Authority
Under the direction of the Coordinator of Day Services the Program Counsellor is responsible for assisting with the implementing and delivering exciting, active programs for children and adults with or without developmental disabilities on a daily basis.
• Become familiar with each participant’s profile, paying particular attention to vulnerabilities.
• Greet participant(s) and their caregivers in the morning, checking backpacks for lunches, sunscreen, swimwear, and towel, and ensure personal items are in backpack at the end of the day.
• Provide constant care and supervision to assigned participants, paying close attention to their health and safety at all times.
• Encourage individual(s) to participate in the activities one-on-one and within the larger group by engaging them and taking an active participatory role, including during swims in lakes and pools.
• Intervene and problem solve when conflict occurs between participants.
• Organize materials and assist with crafts and activities.
• Assist program participants with personal hygiene and toileting.
• Responsible for reporting any incidents within group to the Program Coordinator and writing up Incident Reports.
• Encourage participants and work with other staff to tidy up upon completion of activities, after every transition and at the end of the day.
• Provide first aid treatment as needed.
• Report any health and safety issues immediately to supervisor.
• Support virtual sessions, research, flyer development, IT support on Zoom.
• Other duties as assigned.
How to apply :
- Include your name and Position Title in the subject line.
- Outline your availability for work during summer months (June, July & August)
- Please list which of the following qualifications you possess and include validation or expiration dates where applicable: CPR/First Aid, CPI, ASL (American Sign Language), G-Tube Feeding, Valid Driver’s License, and are you bilingual?
- Attach your cover letter and resume
- Name the attached document with your own name (last name, first name)
- Send your email (with the resume and cover letter attached) to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you do not have a resume or a cover letter, we can help you ! Reach out to us at email@example.com .
Those sending their resume and cover letter by email are asked to send one PDF containing both documents with the file name Last name, First Name PC2021.
E.G. Smith, John PC2021.
If you have any specific inquiries about this job posting, you can also email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Extend-A-Family Kingston is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders including our clients, employees, job applicants, suppliers, and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information, or use our services. As an organization, we respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005), and its associated standards and regulations. If you require an accommodation, please call our office at (613) 544-8939 Ext 1108 to discuss.