File #: 18-624
Reporting to the assigned department Manager, the Cook assists in meal preparation for delivery of meal, cafeteria, and catering food services and performs inventory control functions of the department. The Cook is responsible for preparing food items and managing related food inventories based on rotational meal cycle and quantity, portion control and recipe standards. The Cook performs the duties in accordance with organizational and department policies and procedures, standards set out by the Public Health Act, the Canadian Restaurant and Food Service Association’s Sanitation Code of Practise and Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) food safety protocols and WHIMIS and Occupational Health and Safety standards.
Skills & Experience / Compétences & expérience
combination of recognized related training and work experience in a similar role in an institutional food
service environment may be considered.
• Valid Certificate in Food Safety Code of Practice with the Canadian Restaurant and Food Services Association
• Minimum two years recent experience working as a cook, preferably in a hospital setting .
• Previous institutional experience is an asset.
• Aptitude to perform basic data entry and report generation from a computerized food and nutrition system.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently, quickly and efficiently, manage a full workload and meet.
deadlines in a production style environment.
• Demonstrated trouble shooting skills and ability to problem solve issues that may arise in carrying out the
duties of this position.
• Demonstrated writing skills to complete work documents in English, such production logs and
• Demonstrated ability to understand and to follow written and verbal instructions.
• Demonstrated skills reading English work documents such as WHMIS labels, Material Safety Data Sheets,
Production Sheets, HACCP temperature sheets and food recipes.
• Demonstrated good physical condition to meet the physical demands of the position.
• Demonstrated ability to maintain client/patient confidentiality.
• Demonstrated client-centred attitude and behaviours.
• Demonstrated oral communication and interpersonal skills to receive and convey information to staff,
students, clients and visitors effectively.
• Demonstrated professional and positive work attitude and behaviours in carrying out responsibilities of this
• Demonstrated effectiveness as a team member.
• Demonstrated effectiveness working with minimal supervision with proven reliability, trustworthiness.
• Demonstrated commitment to quality standards.
• Demonstrated understanding and commitment to health and safety policies, procedures and applicable
• Proven willingness to learn and acquire new information and skills.
• Demonstrated ability to attend work regularly.
• Satisfactory Criminal Reference Check & Vulnerable Sector Screen for external candidates if hired; must be an
original copy, current within last six months.
• Bilingual in French and English language, preferred matters.
Other Comments / Autres commentaires
Please notify the above if you require an accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process or require recruitment documents.