The Cobol Developer develops new and updates existing applications for new business capabilities with various business units in support of organizational goals and objectives. The incumbent is guided by defined goals and objectives and works under the general supervision of the Lead, System Developer.
- Provide input into the development of new and updates to existing applications to support the success of business unit capabilities
- Update technical specifications accurately to support the development process
- Responsible for coding, testing, and developing /debugging new system enhancements and making changes to existing software.
- Work closely with Designer to understand and analyze the objective and design of the proposed solution and provide input into the optimum coding and implementation approach
- Provide input into evaluation of interrelationships between programs and impact of code changes in one part of a system, on logic and results from other parts and write detailed technical (programming) specifications
- Provide input into estimates for schedules, technical scope and project resources based on detailed specifications
- Make approved changes by assisting in the development and change of application logic
- Participates in technical reviews of requirements, systems design and application logic with peers
- Document and perform thorough unit, interface and performance testing on assigned application logic changes
- Provide input into the testing strategy: unit, interface, performance
- Provide input into investigation of incidents and solutions to resolve or mitigate issues; work with peers for required system changes to correct incident; update supporting documentation
Skills & Experience / Compétences & expérience
•8+ years experience in application development
•Experience with application analysis & design, technical documentation and application coding
•Knowledge of systems development life cycle (SDLC); application analysis, design, documentation and coding methodologies and standards; one or more applications and programming languages
•Micorofcus COBOL developer with JCL, DB2 and Easytrieve experience
•Ingenium Capsil experience an asset
•Experience with source code control specifically with Github an asset
•Experience with other development languages i.e. Java an asset
•Experience with ETL products like Pentaho an asset
•Comfortable with aspects of the software development life cycle and workflow
•Capable of handling 24/7 on-call support and escalating appropriately
•Has a good understanding of the business application, and works independently or with higher level staff and/or technical support to resolve application software problems as necessary.
•Strong analytical skills are required in order to work through technical challenges with minimal supervision.
•Insurance and/or finance background preferred.
•Proven analytical, oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
Education / Professional Courses
•Completion of a University degree or equivalent experience
•Completion of courses in application logic analysis and design, programming languages
•College diploma in Computer Science or MIS preferred
•Ability to work independently and/or as a team member
•Tact, diplomacy and the ability to handle confidential information
•Ability to prioritize and balance multiple tasks or projects
•Ability to think logically, analyze and/or solve problems
•Well-developed evaluation, decision-making, and system integration skills
•Driving for Results
•Judgment and decision-making
•Prolonged periods of concentration and attention to detail
•Prolonged periods of sitting while using a computer and/or telephone
•May be required to work extended hours and/or hours may vary
•May be required to provide after hours support
•Employees and management on a local and national basis
In business for more than 90 years, with our head office in Kingston, Ontario, Empire Life continues to grow with offices across the country. Our success is based on a commitment to being approachable and responsive to the needs of our clients and distribution partners, on consistently solid investment performance and on faith in our employees as future leaders.
For regular full-time positions, Empire Life offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package including a bonus plan and opportunities for career development.
If you are looking for an exciting opportunity and to build a career in an innovative and dynamic organization, submit your resume by clicking on Apply Now.
Comments / Commentaires
We offer an environment that encourages the pursuit of personal and professional success. We acknowledge and reward talent, and support our employees in achieving and exceeding individual and organizational goals.
At the heart of our success is our focus on customers. We provide protection and financial security for Canadians—with a personal touch.
•Learning & Development
•Current Career Opportunities
Empire Life welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the screening and selection process.