Unit Clerk, Temporary Part-Time, Kidd 6 Surgery
Hours of Work: Temporary Part-time Position (up to 5 months); Rotating Shifts
Shifts: 0700-1900, 0700-1500, 1500-1900, 1500-2300, 1900-2300
Pay Band: Band-D $22.255-$24.660
Location: Kingston General Hospital Site
Please note, this posting identifies the current shifts that apply to the position control number. However, this does not guarantee the permanence of the shift time or work assignment for the position. The Hospital reserves its Management Rights under the CUPE Collective Agreement to make changes to shift time and work assignment as it deems necessary.
Perform reception and clerical duties to support the operation of the patient care unit, including transcription of physician orders, coordination and timely communication of information and patient flow related to admission, discharge, transfer, diagnostic procedures and consultations as delegated by other members of the patient care team.
- Assists patients, visitors, and the health care team by providing requested information or directing them to the appropriate information source.
- Answers the telephone and nurse call system, relaying messages promptly and efficiently.
- Refers inquiries about patient’s condition to the appropriate health care professional.
- Communicates effectively, maintains ethical standards, and maintains confidentiality.
- Transcribes Physician’s Orders, including orders for treatments and/or medications. Implements orders for consultation requests, and for laboratory and diagnostic examinations.
- Coordinates the transportation of patients, specimens, and materials necessary for patient care.
- Prepares and/or completes necessary documentation for admission, transfer, discharge, or death of a patient.
- Assembles new charts, replenishes forms on patients’ charts as required, checks current and closed charts for completeness, and attaches laboratory and test reports to patients’ charts.
- Prepares reports and requisitions, orders supplies as required, and follows-up on delays.
- Office Administration – Medical Diploma (2-year) or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Good organizational skills with ability to set priorities appropriately.
- Demonstrated ability to follow instructions accurately, work under pressure and cope with frequent interruptions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, courteously, and tactfully with all types of people.
- Demonstrated effective oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated computer literacy.
- Demonstrated knowledge of medical terminology.
- Proven ability to attend work regularly.
- Satisfactory criminal reference check required.
The applicant must meet the physical demands of this position.