Status: Casual Appointment (Up to 19.5 hours/week)
Closing Date: May 3, 2021
Rate of Pay: $15.00 + 4% vacation pay ($15.60)
Shifts: 6:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. (Days)
2:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. (Evenings)
10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. (Nights)
People from across Canada and around the world come to learn, teach and conduct research at Queen’s University. The Custodial Services Team in Physical Plant Services (PPS) supports their success by providing a clean, safe, and healthy environment. But that is not all! The Custodial Services Team plays an important role as ambassadors for the university. Their daily contact with students, faculty, staff and visitors helps the university to be a welcoming and friendly place.
Physical Plants Services (PPS) is now hiring Casual Caretakers to join the Custodial Services Team. Casual Caretakers perform a range of cleaning duties and up to maximum of 19.5 work hours per week.
Looking to pursue a full-time career at Queen’s? Casual Caretakers may have the opportunity to become full-time Caretakers when they apply for future vacancies. In addition to competitive wages, full-time Caretakers may be eligible for shift premiums and a wide range of other employee programs such as; pension, benefits, work wear, tuition support, childcare support plan, and a variety of other work/life wellness programs. Further information can be found on the human resources website: http://www.queensu.ca/humanresources/home
If you have the qualities of a successful Caretaker and meet the minimum qualifications, take the first step and apply now!
Characteristics of a Successful Caretaker:
- Follow all appropriate safety practices.
- Show good work habits.
- Commitment to client satisfaction – you care that your work is done well.
- Respect diversity and promote inclusion in our workplace.
- Learn and practice new skills.
- Support the PPS mission to proudly build, maintain and improve campus facilities to create a safe and welcoming environment in support of teaching, learning and research.
- Embrace the values of PPS: Professional, Respectful and Responsible, Integrity, Dependable, Effective and Efficient
- Secondary school diploma or equivalent with the ability to read and write in English.
- Willingness and ability to understand and follow instructions.
- Mechanical skills to clean and set-up equipment like a floor cleaning machine.
- Must be willing and able to work in a team environment that respects the point of view of others.
- Willingness and ability to work with people at all levels (e.g., front line staff, managers, senior administrators, etc.).
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check and a satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Check.
- Must be physically capable of performing the above-noted duties.*
- Maintain a safe, clean and healthy environment in and near assigned buildings.
- Strip, seal and wax, and spray buff floors.
- Clean and sanitize washrooms, fixtures and fittings.
- Vacuum and shampoo carpets and upholstery.
- Sweep, dust-mop and damp-mop all floor surfaces.
- Collect garbage; clean glass, walls, and blackboards.
- Move furniture; lock and unlock buildings.
- Operate a variety of floor machinery.
*The University has policies in place to support its employees with disabilities, including an Accommodation in the Workplace Policy and a policy on the provision of job accommodations that take into account an employee's accessibility needs due to disability.