About Queen's University
Queen’s University is the Canadian research intensive university with a transformative student learning experience. Here the employment experience is as diverse as it is interesting. We have opportunities in multiple areas of globally recognized research, faculty administration, engineering & construction, athletics & recreation, power generation, corporate shared services, and many more.
We are committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcome applications from individuals from equity seeking groups such as women, racialized/visible minorities, Indigenous/Aboriginal peoples, persons with a disability, persons who identify in the LGBTQ+ community and others who reflect the diversity of Canadian society.
Come work with us!
The Marketing and Communications team at Smith School of Business fosters and enhances Smith’s reputation and profile as one of world’s most innovative and influential business schools through effective execution of high-quality marketing and communications strategies.
Reporting to the Communications Manager, the Digital Media Coordinator plays a key role in building brand awareness by advancing the School’s social media strategy with a focus on driving growth and engagement through quality content and best-in-class use of social and digital media.
Working alongside the communications team, the Coordinator will help build Smith’s online community through proactive engagement and digital storytelling. The incumbent is responsible for content curation and creation to engage Smith’s target audiences and increase social reach and engagement, as well as measurement and analysis using tracking and reporting tools. In addition to helping implement key components of the School’s external communications strategies, the Coordinator will maintain a high level of service and build relationships with both internal and external clients.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Following Smith’s social media strategy and in consultation with the Communications Manager, recommend, develop and regularly post content, respond to questions, and moderate online discussions across platforms, as needed, to support the School’s marketing and communications objectives with the goal of activating audiences, driving growth and producing measurable results.
- Assist in ideating and creating a monthly content calendar.
- Assist with social media community management: proactively engaging with our audience of alumni, students, faculty, staff and friends of the School to increase engagement.
- Monitor the School’s social media accounts for potential story or engagement opportunities (positive) and issues (negative).
- Issues management support: monitoring and managing comments and third-party content.
- Stay up to date with social and digital technology best practices and trends and make recommendations, as appropriate.
- Engage with social media officers (Smith and Queen’s) to ensure message consistency.
- Create engaging, high-quality content in multiple formats for a variety of social media platforms, in consultation with the Communications Manager.
- Repurpose content previously published on Smith Business Insight and Smith Magazine online to maximize exposure.
- Develop and proofread content for the Smith School of Business newsblog and other program and centre-specific blogs and websites.
- Develop and implement a process, in consultation with the Communications Manager, for third-party content curation to share on Smith channels.
- Liaise with student groups to secure and develop content.
- Conduct image and multimedia research to support editorial content.
Measurement and reporting
- Conduct daily media monitoring, including production and distribution of Smith in the News.
- Track and report analytics for both social and traditional media to assess effectiveness and continuously improve content performance.
- Support the development and maintenance of various communications tools and programs (including media databases and activity metrics) designed to evaluate and advance the business school’s external communications programs.
- Generate social media platform health reports and make recommendations for improvements, in consultation with the Communications Manager.
- Support events and sponsorship activations with planning, ticketing, on-site logistics such as set up and coordinating photography and social media content.
- Provide support for program marketing, as needed.
- Support Smith Business Insight webinar production.
- Assist with content uploading to Smith Business Insight website.
- Maintain Smith newsblog, including pushing content to distribution list.
- Maintain communications team email distribution lists.
- Monitor Smith web for content update needs.
- Monitor and update Smith profiles on third-party websites.
- Solicit and collate program information for various media business school listings.
- Other duties as required in support of the department, as assigned by the Manager.
- University degree or diploma in communications, journalism, marketing, digital media or business administration.
- 2-3 years of experience and demonstrated skills in marketing, digital media, social media or communications.
- Experience and familiarity with creating content in multiple formats for social media platforms as well as experience writing in digital first environments and with Search Engine Optimizations (SEO) strategies.
- Proven advanced computer skills demonstrated through experience and proficiency with social media, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint), database use and web navigation.
- Experience in a customer-focused communications environment.
- Consideration will be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong communications skills, including creative and concise writing and editing skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills required in dealing with a wide variety of constituents (senior staff, faculty, students, alumni, media, prospective students), sometimes in stressful and institutionally sensitive situations. Ability to interact professionally and effectively with people at all levels, internal and external to the University.
- Resourcefulness and creativity, with a strong attention to detail and accuracy, and an understanding of the repercussions of errors on the reputation and credibility of the business school and the University.
- Critical and creative thinker who is able to place social media and digital communications in the broader organizational context and make content decisions accordingly.
- Proven experience writing and editing in a variety of formats (websites, digital, social).
- Demonstrated understanding of how social media works, and the need to respond in timely manner to inquiries, within a deadline-driven environment.
- Proven ability to contribute to the growth and increased engagement of social audiences
- Strong customer service orientation: proven ability to respond to client requests quickly and professionally.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills. Ability to prioritize among many competing demands and remain focused on key objectives in juggling resources. Ability to multi-task and meet all communications needs in a prioritized and strategic fashion.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment with flexibility, willingness to adapt and do what is necessary to further communication objectives.
- Ability to learn new software packages and adapt to emerging technology.
- Ability to deal with sensitive and confidential matters related to reputation issues.
- Respect diversity and promote inclusion in the workplace.
- Determine what information is valuable for furthering communication objectives.
- Set priorities while meeting multiple demands from various sources, as need and departmental priorities dictate. Ensure that assigned work is completed accurately and on time.
- Make recommendations to the Manager and implement required changes as necessary.
- Determine appropriate and necessary content for social media and maintain timeliness of material by proactively posting updates and content as determined in consultation with the Manager.
- Assist in the decision-making process regarding graphic support for social and digital media stories.
- Determine appropriate and necessary content for websites and maintain freshness of material through proactive updates on an as needed basis as determined in consultation with members of the communications team.
- Reputational risk assessment: Determine when to elevate issues that arise in social or traditional media to Manager or Director.
Employment Equity and Accessibility Statement
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Queen’s is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, Aboriginal Peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. In accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
The University provides support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant's accessibility needs. Candidates requiring accommodation during the recruitment process are asked to contact Human Resources at email@example.com .