Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Cost Accountant is responsible for overseeing and analysing cost expenditures and purchases within Canada Royal Milk. Working closely with the CFO, the Cost Accountant will assist in the development and implementation of accounting procedures and processes for analyzing results, budgeting, forecasting, and preparation of periodic management reports, as well as act as the Finance Department’s primary ERP user.
The Cost Accountant works collaboratively with Department Managers the Cost Accountant provides technical leadership while acting as a financial resource for operations, ensuring that departmental financial targets are met.
The standard office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 5:30 pm. Most of the work occurs during regular week day office hours. However, as an international company with frequent interaction with head office, hours of work involved may vary to accommodate differences in time zones. Flexible hours are required and may include evening and week-end hours.
This job operates in office, laboratory and food manufacturing setting.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
1. Assists CFO in developing and monitoring internal control procedures for the safeguarding of company assets
2. Maintain and administer cost accounting system for CRM
3. Accurate and timely reporting relating to the internal costs for the operation of the plant
4. Assist with development of annual budget & forecasts with an emphasis on annual standard costs
5. Analyze monthly variances from budgets and report on significant issues
6. Review and assist in maintenance of complete cost records including repair and maintenance, supplies, utilities and labour
7. Prepare various financial and operations reports including; standard costs variance analyses, weekly staff reporting, departmental variance and cost tracking report & loading into software
8. Assist with month end-end closing including; analysis and journal entry preparation
9. Determine part and material accruals and maintain cut-off procedures
10. Completion of G/L account reconciliations and other basic accounting functions
11. Interacts with plant personnel to achieve greater understanding of product costs
12. Provide support for cost reduction/suggestion system projects
13. Prepare year-end audit file and assist external audit process
14. Administrative duties as needed
15. Other duties may be assigned.
Skills & Experience / Compétences & expérience
Education: Related University degree or College Diploma in Finance or Accounting. CPA Designation considered an asset
• 3 to 5 years of professional accounting experience in a manufacturing environment, food manufacturing experience is an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Working knowledge of inventory and accounting systems, understanding of cost absorption, standard costing, GAAP, and IFRS
• Well developed interpersonal, verbal and writing skills along with a high level of attention to detail.
• Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment
• Experience with enterprise resource planning ERP software such as Oracle PeopleSoft Financials, Infor ERP SyteLine, Oracle JD Edwards EnterpriseOne, SAP, NetSuite ERP
• High competency level in use of Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, as a minimum)
• Maintain a high level of accuracy and detail orientation
• Ability to show versatility and resourcefulness when problem solving
• Ability to organize priorities based on deadlines and importance of tasks
• Manage time efficiently while working on several different tasks at once
• Strong interpersonal skills; able to speak in front of groups of people, and ability to effectively communicate information with all team members and management
Perks & Benefits
Life insurance coverage
Medical, prescription, dental, and vision plans
Long term disability insurance
Travel Accident Insurance
On the job training
Excellent growth and advancement opportunities