Reporting to the Strategic Resources Manager, the Purchaser is responsible for the development and maintenance of Canada Royal Milk’s Global supply chain. The Purchasing Officer is responsible for sourcing suppliers, building supplier relationships, negotiating contracts, contract management and controlling costs. The Officer must ensure that all raw materials comply with CRM’s standards for quality, safety and trace-ability.
Working collaboratively across all departments, with frequent interaction with QA, Supply Chain and Production, the Purchasing Officer will be involved with all aspects of operational support including coordination with Feihe’s purchasing team in Beijing. The Officer also supports the Strategic Resources Manager in leading activities to achieve the department/company’s goals and objectives.
As the primary contact for our Global Supply Chain, the Purchasing Officer will ideally be multi-lingual, with proficiency in both English and French considered an asset.
The standard office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 5:30 pm. Most of the work occurs during regular week day office hours. However, as an international company with frequent interaction with head office, hours of work involved may vary to accommodate differences in time zones. Flexible hours are required and may include evening and week-end hours.
This job operates in office, laboratory and food manufacturing setting. Frequent travel is required, both within Canada and internationally.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
1. Identify and verify potential suppliers both domestically and internationally
2. Negotiating; negotiate with suppliers to obtain best cost or improved service, work with suppliers to change their processes, benchmarking, and analysis
3. Identify new suppliers, agreeable terms and negotiate supply agreements where appropriate, including discount structures and volume rebates with the company’s best interest in mind
4. Building supplier relationships; quarterly meetings to review performance and cost reduction ideas, supplier site visits to ensure compliance and capability related to cost
5. Issue purchase orders (POs); set up new suppliers, create blanket purchase orders, create standard POs, maintain cost files
6. Project management; take lead on projects as assigned by manager
7. Request for quote (RFQ) activities; create RFQs, send to suppliers, compare cost, provide feedback, issue business award and letter of intent
8. Provide clear, concise communication and support for the implementation of contracts and programs
9. Demonstrate good judgment in safeguarding customer, company, vendor, and employee information
10. Develop and maintain purchasing procedures and policies; Record and maintain up to date supplier information and contracts; Track orders, invoices and delivery information
11. Other duties may be assigned.
Skills & Experience / Compétences & expérience
Education: Post-secondary education, degree or diploma in Business Management, Supply Chain or related field.
Certified Supply Chain Management Professional (CSCMP) designation considered an asset
• Minimum of 2 years of experience purchasing for food manufacturing required; dairy experience highly desirable
• 2-5 years of purchasing experience
• 2-5 years of business to business relationship management
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• HACCP, SQF and/or BRC experience
• Knowledge of import regulations and processes
• Familiar with Canada’s trade agreements
• Experience with inventory management and shipping
• Experience with enterprise resource planning ERP software such as: Infor ERP SyteLine, Oracle JD Edwards EnterpriseOne, SAP, NetSuite ERP
• High competency level in use of Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, as a minimum)
• Maintain a high level of accuracy and detail orientation
• Ability to show versatility and resourcefulness when problem solving
• Ability to organize priorities based on deadlines and importance of tasks
• Manage time efficiently while working on several different tasks at once
• Strong interpersonal skills; able to speak in front of groups of people, and ability to effectively communicate information with all team members and management
Perks & Benefits
Life insurance coverage
Medical, prescription, dental, and vision plans
Long term disability insurance
Travel Accident Insurance
On the job training
Excellent growth and advancement opportunities