Reporting to the Quality Assurance Manager, the Quality Control Supervisor is a champion for quality and safety at Canada Royal Milk (CRM). The Quality Control Supervisor’s role is to oversee the set-up and daily operations of the plant's micro-biology and chemical laboratories. The Supervisor adheres to the food safety testing protocols set out by Chinese, Canadian and American regulatory agencies ensuring that lab technicians are proficient in all required protocols.
The ability to build and maintain positive relationships across departments and with regulatory bodies is required for success in the role. This position requires frequent interaction with R&D in Beijing as well as food safety regulatory agencies in China. A bilingual (Mandarin-English) candidate is highly preferred.
The standard office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 5:30 pm. Most of the work occurs during regular week day office hours. However, as an international company with frequent interaction with head office, hours of work involved may vary to accommodate differences in time zones. Flexible hours are required occasionally and may include evening and week-ends.
This job mainly operates in an office and/or laboratory setting. This role routinely uses standard office and laboratory equipment.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
1. Oversees the set-up and operations of the plant’s micro-biology and chemical laboratories.
2. Assists Quality Assurance Manager to recruit and select technicians with the support of Human Resources.
3. Responsible for on-boarding, training and continuous coaching of technicians.
4. Manages the Lab Technicians and coordinate lab activities and testing to ensure efficiency and accuracy.
5. Coordinate and review comparison testing for in-process and lab equipment and Technician testing performance monitoring including performing and/or coordinating necessary equipment calibration changes.
6. Oversee creation of sub-lot composites to facilitate the necessary analyses and tests on products.
7. Coordinate and maintain adherence with Good Laboratory Practices (GLP’s).
8. Ensure lab equipment is kept cleaned and sterilized and instruments are calibrated.
9. Utilize just-in-time methods to purchase required laboratory supplies and maintain cost effective inventory levels.
10. Assist with the design of facility utility surveillance programs to ensure compliance with regulatory standards.
11. Assist with SOP/SSOP development: responsible for maintenance including annual reviews.
12. Other duties may be assigned.
Skills & Experience / Compétences & expérience
Education: Bachelor of Science degree in Food Science, Chemistry or Biology
Experience: One or more years of experience performing quality control tests in a food, beverage, or dairy production environment. Dairy experience preferred.
Minimum of 2 years of experience supervising, coaching and developing employees.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of SQF, HACCP, and GMP is a must
Demonstrate leadership as part of a cross-functional plant management team
Demonstrate attention to detail and accuracy in work
Demonstrate excellent organizational skills, establish priorities, ability to multitask,
and meet deadlines
Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
Results driven, bottom-line oriented, strive to exceed goals, and motivate self and
others to achieve positive outcomes
Demonstrate functional and technical knowledge, ability to learn new skills quickly,
and achieve a high level of accomplishment
Must be able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing with
individuals at all levels of the organization
Demonstrated ability to develop others through teaching and mentoring
Time management and multi-tasking skills
Other Skills and Abilities
Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite applications.
Perks & Benefits
Life insurance coverage
Medical, prescription, dental, and vision plans
Long term disability insurance
Travel Accident Insurance
On the job training
Excellent growth and advancement opportunities